Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Frosting: A no need to measure recipe...



These are mini cupcakes that I sent to school for Ella's birthday a couple of weeks ago. Nothing special about the cupcakes, just a box of chocolate cake but aren't they fabulous with that little bit of sparkle on top???? (have you ever seen that edible glitter - find it near other cake decorating products at craft stores, mine was from Jo Ann's)

Anyway, I thought these would be fun to share because while the baking was nothing special the frosting was homemade and isn't frosting an important part of baking? Of course. :)

I don't measure to make my frosting but I will try to give you some rough amounts so you can try it.

I start with a little softened butter
(1/2 stick to 3/4 stick butter)
Beat until fluffy
Add a cup or so of powdered sugar and a dash of milk
Beat together
Add some more powdered sugar and another splash of milk, plus any food coloring you want to add and flavoring. I like my butter cream frosting flavored with 1/2 t. almond and a splash of vanilla.
Now you've added all the other liquids besides milk, continue to add powdered sugar and splashes of milk until it is spreading consistency.
My guess is you should add between 3 and 4 cups of powdered sugar, plus about 3 T. milk.

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment