Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making Baking Healthier: Brownies



Can you bake things that are a bit better for you? Can you add some good things to baking and take out some of the things that aren't good for you? I attempt it every now and then and plan to attempt it more. Because when you love to bake and you love to eat what you bake, the results can be bad. :)

So today a recipe for low-fat brownies. These aren't no fat, just lower fat. And they certainly aren't health food - they still have a lot of sugar, but a good choice if you really need a brownie. They are really yummy. I found the recipe in a Kraft Food and Family Magazine (a great free magazine - does Kraft still offer it? I haven't gotten it in a while but always found it had some good recipe ideas + some coupons). It's from the Winter 2008 issue.

The Recipe:

4 squares unsweetened Baking chocolate
1/3 c. Canola oil
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. sugar
8 large egg whites
1 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped pecans if you like (I skip these, we have nut haters at our house plus they do add fat, but healthy fat and fiber. :) )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over the sides of the pan. Grease foil.

Microwave chocolate in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH, in 1 min intervals. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add oil, applesauce and vanilla; mix well. Stir in sugar. Add egg whites; stir until well blended. Add flour and pecans; mix well. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake 25 min. or until brownies start to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely. Remove brownies from pan using foil handles.

Makes 24 servings, 1 brownie each.

I find these work perfectly for cutting out with a good, metal cookie cutter because you lift them right out of the pan with the foil. I usually make mine heart shaped, you wouldn't want to use a very complicated cut-out. We had them last week for Ella's birthday. She's a chocolate lover. :) That's when I took my picture of them.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell if I posted a comment yet or not, but I just wanted to tell you that Kraft still does have the magazine but they now charge 7 dollars a year for the magazine. I got it last year when it was still free but now that they're charging, I no longer get it but I do agree, it's a great magazine.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, Melis. Too bad it costs money now. :(

    ReplyDelete