Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Getting started...



I've decided it would be fun to share what I've been baking lately. I love to bake and I love to share recipes, what better way then a blog.

-------------------------------------

Today, I baked my grandma's homemade bread. I've modified the recipe slightly to make a bit smaller batch then her original makes. And today I added some whole wheat flour to the recipe to give it more nutritional value and make it a bit denser. I find it keeps a little longer with whole wheat flour in the mix, as well.
It is really best enjoyed the day you make it though.

The recipe:

Preheat oven to 375 - 400 degrees Fahrenheit

1 1/2 T. instant, dry active yeast
1/4 c. of warm, not hot water
1/2 T. sugar to feed the yeast
2 eggs
1/4 c. vegatable (I use Canola) oil
1/2 T. salt
1 1/4 c. warm (again not hot) milk
1/4 c. sugar
4 to 5 c. flour (today I added about 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour and the remaining cups regular bread flour, bread flour works better than regular all-purpose but you can use all-purpose)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the 1/2 T. sugar. Let this rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Mix in all the other ingredients. Stirring as you go.
It is easiest to mix the last 1/2 of the flour in with the dough hook of a Kitchen Aid mixer. But you could certainly knead the dough by hand. Cover and let rise at least one hour. Shape into three, french bread like loaves. Let rise a bit longer on the greased baking sheet (20 minutes to half hour).
Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing with a bread knife.
Enjoy!!!!



2 comments:

  1. yum! i love homemade bread. i will definitely be trying this recipe. thanks for sharing! can't wait to witness your other baking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Kate! make sure you make that the next time i come over. it sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete