Thursday, February 11, 2010

a family favorite: Sour Cream Sugar Cookies all dressed for Valentine's Day



For Ella's school Valentine party, I made a batch of a family favorite: sour cream sugar cookies. These are one of my mom's signature recipes. I am not as good at making them as she is but I get a little better every time I try. :)

The recipe:

1 c. soft butter
1 c. sugar

Cream together.

1 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla extract
3 egg yokes

Mix until blended.

1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 c. flour

Add and mix some more. I add just under the 3 c. of flour when mixing. I add the rest when I roll them out. Chill at least 1 hour. But ideally overnight. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick being generous with flour. Cut out. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.



Here is a picture of the dough before it is chilled. I wanted you to see what a gooey mess it is. That's how it's supposed to look. :) I rip off two large sections of plastic wrap and wrap it in that before placing it in the fridge to chill. This is another tip from my mom. Because it is such a gooey dough, it chills faster in the smaller amount plus you have a smaller amount to work with when you take it out to roll. The less time it has to warm up, the easier it is to get it rolled out and unto the baking sheets.



These are a really tender cookie. SUPER soft. That makes them perfect for drizzling with a glaze. My mom used an almond flavored glaze. Sometimes I will decorate them with a pastry bag. Spreading frosting on them with a knife can be too difficult because they are so tender.



Here they are all ready to go to the party. Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment