Monday, March 1, 2010

Making Baking Healthier: Chocolate Cake with an unusual ingredient



I have decided to do Weight Watchers for a few weeks and I don't want it to mean I can't bake.

So I want hunting for some Weight Watchers dessert recipes and I found LaaLoosh. While searching her dessert recipes, I found a Weight Watchers' Dark Chocolate Cake.

I gave it a try - even though it has a very unusual ingredient, sauerkraut. Yes, you read right - sauerkraut. I don't know why exactly but it works and you'd never know it was in there. Jace even ate two pieces of it (though he said it had a weird after-taste - Ella and I didn't agree).

Be brave and try it yourself. It serves 14 and only has 4 weight watchers points per serving. Even with a little sprinkle of powdered sugar and drizzle of Hershey's syrup.

Here's the recipe:

2 c. of all-purpose flour
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking soda
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. hot water
1 t. vanilla
1 c. sauerkraut, pureed until smooth (think applesauce consistency)
1 t. unsweetened cocoa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a Bundt pan with non-fat cooking spray with flour (I didn't do that - I was careful to hardly coat it with a bit of canola oil and a bit of flour, I'm sure that added a bit more to the point count but hardly and I just didn't have any spray on hand).

Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and 2/3 c. cocoa together. Add melted butter, hot water, and vanilla. Mix well.

Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in center of the oven for about 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan at least 20 minutes before turning out onto serving platter. Sprinkle with 1 t. cocoa.

So good!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. The cake looks yummy but I am not sure I can convince myself of the sauerkraut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it - you'd never know it was in there, really. You'll just have to plug your nose while you puree it. :)

    ReplyDelete